This Keto Tomato Soup With Za’atar and Halloumi Croutons has become a favorite soup around here, even being referred to as “the best tomato soup ever.” This is a quick and easy low carb, keto tomato soup which is rich, warming, and so satisfying. The classic tomato soup gets turned up a notch with this recipe, with the addition of Za’atar and harissa for depth and warmth, and Halloumi cheese “croutons.”
For The Soup:
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Clove Of Garlic
- 28 Oz. Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/4 Tsp. Granular Sugar Replacement (Or sugar if not keto)
- 1 Tbs. Za’atar
- 1–2 Tbs. Harissa
- Sea Salt* & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For The Garnishes:
- 1 Block of Halloumi Cheese (Cut Into 1 Inch Squares)
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes* (optional, see notes)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Drizzling
- Za’atar For Sprinkling
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and butter on medium-low until it is melted.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. (Do not let them brown.)
- Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, granulated sugar replacement, Za’atar, and harissa (depending on your heat preference, you may want to start with 1 Tbs. and add more in step 6) and turn the heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer, stirring a few times.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Carefully blend the soup in a blender or food processor (or with an immersion blender) and return to the pot.
- Season the soup with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste to adjust the heat, adding more harissa if you want a little more heat. Keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add halloumi cubes and fry until lightly browned on all sides.
- To serve, add soup to bowls (I like to warm my bowls first in the microwave). Lay the cherry tomato vine on top (if using). Add halloumi cheese croutons. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and finish with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
For this recipe, I roasted red cherry tomatoes on the vine. They are so pretty and added a burst of rich tomato flavor as the roasting intensified them. Simply place cherry tomato clusters on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast at 425° for about 20 minutes, while the soup is simmering.
Notes On Sea Salt
I use Himalayan Sea Salt in all of my recipes. It is the only salt on hand around the house – except for a course salt (Maldon) for finishing dishes, and for pickling and bread salt. Himalayan sea salt has a slightly lower sodium level than regular salt. It also has a higher mineral content, with 84 trace minerals. Also, it’s pink!
Per serving this recipe has 7.5 grams carbs, subtract the 1.5 grams of fiber to get the net carbs which equal 5 grams net carbs per serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: tomato, soup, keto, low carb, cheese, vegetarian,